Round Oak Shortcut
This was built back in 1858 and joined Dudley canal no1 to this spot, know as the 2 lock line. Eventually it collapsed and was abandoned, leaving the bridge on the right as the only reminder, that it was ever there.
The canal navigators hit a mass of Basalt rock. This forced them to cut Brewins Tunnel and was opene in 1858. This saved the leggers a tiresome job.
The photo also shows Brewin's cutting, on the Dudley no2 canal, which shows the conglomeratic base of the carboniferous rocks - the floor of the coal mine.